LLL hosts or otherwise supports a broad range of professional development opportunities.
July 7-11, 2014
Language for specific purposes (LSP) courses and programs focus on developing learner communicative competence in a particular professional or academic field (e.g., Korean for business, Japanese for health care providers, etc.).
This summer institute will provide accepted participants with training and experience in developing LSP courses (including doing needs analysis, setting goals and objectives, assessing, developing materials, teaching, and evaluating LSP) for their home institution. Participants are expected to develop some aspect of a real LSP course as part of this institute. Selected projects will be published by the NFLRC as a Network (available online for teachers around the world).
The XV Annual Conference of the International Society for Luso-Hispanic Humor Studies
October 16–17, 2014
The International Society for Luso-Hispanic Humor Studies (ISLH/HS) promotes the study and appreciation of humor wherever Spanish and Portuguese are spoken. The society encourages all areas of humor scholarship in the Luso-Brazilian and Hispanic worlds. It is dedicated to dissemination of information to a diverse population and encourages communication with others interested in this expanding field.
4th International Conference on Language Documentation & Conservation
February 26–March 1, 2015
Enriching Theory, Practice, & Application
The theme of the 4th ICLDC, “Enriching Theory, Practice, and Application,” highlights the need to strengthen the links between language documentation (practice), deep understanding of grammatical structure (theory), and methods for teaching endangered languages (application). At this conference, we intend to focus on language documentation as the investigation of grammar and linguistic structure on the one hand, and the development of that investigation into sound pedagogy for endangered languages on the other.
- Asia & the Pacific in German Culture, Feb. 14–15, 2014
- ‘Āina Forum: A Discussion of Native Land Rights and Kuleana, Sep 17–18, 2013
- Language for Specific Purposes Summer Institute, July 15–19, 2013
- CALICO 2013, 30th Annual Conference, May 21-25, 2013
- 3rd International Conference on Language Documentation and Conservation (ICLDC), February 28–March 3, 2013
- Audre Lorde Legacy Festival, Sep 20–21, 2012
- Assessments for Japanese Language Instruction, July 10–13, 2012
- International Symposium on Chinese Linguistics & Language Teaching, May 29-30, 2012
- The 7th Int’l Conference & Workshops on Technology & Chinese Language Teaching, May 25-27, 2012
- 2012 STARTALK Chinese Language Camp & Chinese TeacherTraining Institute, July 1-23, 2011
- 2nd International Conference on Language Documentation & Conservation, February 11-13, 2011