LLL hosts or otherwise supports a broad range of professional development opportunities.
Language for Specific Purposes Summer Institute
July 7-11, 2014
Language for specific purposes (LSP) courses and programs focus on developing learner communicative competence in a particular professional or academic field (e.g., Korean for business, Japanese for health care providers, etc.).
This summer institute will provide accepted participants with training and experience in developing LSP courses (including doing needs analysis, setting goals and objectives, assessing, developing materials, teaching, and evaluating LSP) for their home institution. Participants are expected to develop some aspect of a real LSP course as part of this institute. Selected projects will be published by the NFLRC as a Network (available online for teachers around the world).
Kahusayan: Filipino in all Fields and Disciplines
At this conference, GLOCAFIL introduces a new trend of using one Filipino keyword that will spell out the theme. Kahusayan (Excellence) is the choice for this year. Considering the history of the Filipino language and the various challenges that it faced from the time the idea of a national language was conceived, there is no other objective more applicable. If Filipino is to be used in all fields and disciplines, it should be the quality at its best. This means that all practitioners, users, teachers and students of the language are striving to find ways that will showcase achieving the highest proficiency, the best performance in the language, the best teaching methodology, the best assessment practices, etc. Doing so means honoring Filipino, both as a language and as an identity tool of the Filipino people.
The XV Annual Conference of the International Society for Luso-Hispanic Humor Studies
October 16–17, 2014
The International Society for Luso-Hispanic Humor Studies (ISLH/HS) promotes the study and appreciation of humor wherever Spanish and Portuguese are spoken. The society encourages all areas of humor scholarship in the Luso-Brazilian and Hispanic worlds. It is dedicated to dissemination of information to a diverse population and encourages communication with others interested in this expanding field.
- ‘Āina Forum: A Discussion of Native Land Rights and Kuleana, Sep 17–18, 2013
- Language for Specific Purposes Summer Institute, July 15–19, 2013
- CALICO 2013, 30th Annual Conference, May 21-25, 2013
- 3rd International Conference on Language Documentation and Conservation (ICLDC), February 28–March 3, 2013
- Audre Lorde Legacy Festival, Sep 20–21, 2012
- Assessments for Japanese Language Instruction, July 10–13, 2012
- International Symposium on Chinese Linguistics & Language Teaching, May 29-30, 2012
- The 7th Int’l Conference & Workshops on Technology & Chinese Language Teaching, May 25-27, 2012
- 2012 STARTALK Chinese Language Camp & Chinese TeacherTraining Institute, July 1-23, 2011
- 2nd International Conference on Language Documentation & Conservation, February 11-13, 2011