The following resources aim to assist LLL stakeholders in their evaluation efforts by providing links and documents describing evaluation processes and methods. Included are sites that provide a broad overview of evaluation, as well as links that target particular evaluation methods with an emphasis on ease-of-use and practicality. Topics include:
- Evaluation Overview Resources
- Evaluation Methods
- Evaluation project overview
- Student learning outcomes (development/assessment)
- Writing SLOs
- Assessing SLOs
- Data Collection Methods
- Methods overview
- Increasing Online Survey Response Rates
- Focus groups
- Document analysis
The following sites provide user-friendly guides for many aspects of evaluation in educational contexts. They include overviews of evaluation processes, as well as "quick tips" or short explanations of different evaluation methodologies.
- University of Texas Instructional Assessment Resources (IAR)
- Pennsylvania State University Extension Program Evaluation Site
- University of Wisconsin Extension, Program Development and Evaluation Site
- National Foreign Language Research Center, Foreign Language Program Evaluation Project (NFRLC, FLPEP)
Below are links to more specific aspects of evaluation, selected from the sites above and elsewhere, with a focus on educational contexts.
Evaluation project overview
- University of Texas (IAR) A step-by-step guide to planning evaluation projects including checklists, worksheets and example evaluation plans.
- Linking the how to the why: Methods decisions in foreign language program evaluation” A brief, useful description of evaluation project planning and implementation. (Yukiko Watanabe and Castle Sinicrope, 2008, NFRLC FLPEP)
Learning Outcomes (Development/Assessment)
- NFLRC/FLPEP collection of SLO assessment websites
- North Carolina State: Internet Resources for Higher Education Outcomes Assessment
- UHM Office of Assessment
- Writing SLOs
University of Texas (IAR)
A guide to conceptualizing and writing student learning outcomes, with additional resources and links.
University Of Michigan, College Of Engineering
Description of developing and assessing SLOs from their ‘Handbook on student learning outcomes assessment’
- University of Texas (IAR) A list of data collection methods with descriptions and step-by-step instructions on instrument planning, implementation, data analysis and reporting.
- Penn. State University Extension Program Evaluation Site Links to many different kinds of evaluation data collection methods.
- Overview of common evaluation methods (Sinicrope & Watanabe, NFLRC/FLPEP) A comprehensive list of data collection methods including a brief description of each tool, its purpose, advantages, and challenges.
- University of Texas (IAR) A description of ethical issues related to the collection and storing of data from human subjects .
- Using Surveys in Language Program Evaluation (NFRLC, FLPEP) A comprehensive treatment of survey/questionnaire methods.
- University of Texas (IAR) A brief description of how to plan, develop, administer, analyze and report data for survey instruments.
- University of Michigan College of Engineering: Assessment for Curricular Improvement How to develop surveys as well as advice on choosing samples (i.e. groups to administer the survey to).
- Creative Research Systems - survey design Description of survey development including tips on ‘dos and don’ts’.
- University of Reading Statistical Services Centre Describes approaches to the analysis of survey data.
Increasing Online Survey Response Rates
- Investigating strategies for increasing student response rates to online-delivered course evaluations (Norris & Conn, 2005) A published in The Quarterly Review of Distance Education.
- University of Texas (IAR) Guidelines for maximizing response rates.
- Online survey response rates and times: background and guidance for industry (Hamilton, 2003) A white paper from a private consultant.
- Advice from the College of LLL Evaluation Resource Team Recommendations for maximizing survey response rates.
- Online Advice on Designing and Analyzing Interviews A comprehensive listing of links to interview techniques, hosted on the NFLRC/FLPEP webpage.
- University of Texas (IAR) A brief description of how to plan, develop, conduct and report data for interviews.
- Penn. State University Extension Program Evaluation Site Documents and links on interview techniques.
- Online Evaluation Resource Library: Preparing interviews
- Online Evaluation Resource Library: Administering interviews
- University of Texas (IAR) Focus group planning, implementation, data analysis and reporting.
- University of Arizona Detailed description of focus group data collection methods.
- University of Wisconsin Extension, Program Development and Evaluation Site Discusses how to collect direct observation data.
- University of Texas (IAR) Document analysis planning, data gathering, and reporting results.
- Gene Shackman's Program Evaluation Resource Page Has many links for presentation/reporting of results.
- University of Texas (IAR) A guide to data analysis and reporting practices for different types of evaluation data.
- UHM Office of Assessment Tips for using evaluation results.
- Penn. State University Extension Program Evaluation Site Tips for using evaluation data to write evaluation impact statements and stating program value.